Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Nigerian Army uncovers plot to undermine counter-insurgency operation



The Nigerian Army says it has uncovered plans by some international media organizations in partnership with collaborators in Nigeria to undermine ongoing operations to end insurgency in the country by accusing it of human rights violations. In a statement released today by the acting Director of Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Usman, the army said such actions, if not addressed, will thwart the gains they have so far recorded in the fight against Boko Haram.



The statement in part reads

 “It has come to our knowledge that some foreign media, Non-governmental Organisations (NGOs) and some of their Nigerian affiliates are about to start making false claims of human rights violations by the Nigerian Army. It is clear that these groups and their collaborators are not happy with the progress made in the efforts to solve the security problems bedeviling our nation as manifested in the terrorists’ activities. The implication of such act is not lost on us as it is capable of thwarting the gains in the fight against terrorism and insurgency. We would not condone any human rights abuses. Where there are allegations of human rights violation by any individual or group, this would be thoroughly investigated and those found guilty would be brought to book in accordance with extant laws. Therefore, the Nigerian Army would not succumb to blackmail and neither would it be distracted from its determined effort of defending the territorial integrity of our great nation and safeguarding the security of its citizens,’’he said

No comments: