Tuesday, 18 August 2015

United Nation Horrified By Attacks On Civilians In Syria.

UN

The United Nations (UN) has expressed shock over the attacks on civilians going on in Syria.
The UN’s Humanitarian Chief, Stephen O’Brien, during a visit to Damascus, said he is horrified by the attacks on non-combatants.
“I am absolutely horrified by the total disregard for civilian life by all parties in this conflict,” he said.

“Attacks on civilians are unlawful, unacceptable and must stop.”
Mr O ‘Brien said he was “particularly appalled” by government air strikes on a rebel-held territory on Sunday.
Activists said the latest air strikes which left at least 96 people dead was one of the bloodiest single incidents so far.
A Syrian military source told the Reuters news agency that the air force had targeted the headquarters of the rebel group, Jaysh al-Islam (Army of Islam) in its strikes on Sunday.
Mr O’Brien called on both sides to protect civilians and respect international humanitarian law at the end of a three-day visit to Syria, his first to the country since becoming the UN’s under-secretary general for humanitarian affairs in May.
“I am absolutely horrified by the total disregard for civilian life by all parties in this conflict,” he said. “Attacks on civilians are unlawful, unacceptable and must stop.”
The BBC reports that the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based group that monitors the conflict, said that in Sunday’s raid on Douma air force jets fired at least 10 rockets at the town’s central market before attacking again after rescue workers arrived.



No comments: