Saturday, 18 July 2015

Finally,The seized Nigerian Arms Money by South Africa govt has been returned.

A report on Premium Times claims that the South African government has returned the seized $15million meant for the procurement of arms for the Nigerian military back to the Nigerian government.
The sum of $9.3 million was seized by the South African authorities on September 5, 2014 and another $5.7 million was seized later in a transaction involving Societe D’ Equipments Internationale of Nigeria and Cereberus Risk Solutions, a South African arms company.
  The first seizure was by South African custom officers who intercepted  two Nigerians and an Israeli who arrived the country in a private jet allegedly owned by the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) president, Rev Ayo Oritsejafor.
They found three suitcases stashed with money after the suitcases were put through airport scanners. The money were reportedly concealed in two black plastic suitcases.
Also found on the men, were, an invoice for a helicopter and armaments meant for Nigeria. The Nigerian government then quickly admitted that it was aware of the transaction and informed the media that the process was legal. 
                                                                                                                                                               The former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd) who spoke on behalf of the government then, said the Nigerian government had no choice as some powerful countries had refused to sell arms to Nigeria.

Reacting then, the South African government through its High Commissioner to Nigeria, Lulu Mnguni, said it would not release the funds until after “due process” was followed.
Yesterday, the consulting firm issuing statements on behalf of Nigerian security agencies, PR Nigeria, said the money has finally been released.
According to the statement, the money was released as a result of some legal and diplomatic processes initiated by the former NSA which “ensured that cash seized by the South African government during the cash for arms saga last year have been fully recovered by Nigeria”.
It also added that “President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration was forced to resort to the alternative market to obtain arms when western powers blocked every access to the formal arms market but the cash were seized both at the airport and in the bank”.

No comments: